These Beetroot and Caramelised onions on Pitta are a really simple vegan nibbles recipe to share with friends this festive season.
1 red onions
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon of coconut sugar (you can substitute with brown sugar or maple syrup)
1 tablespoon tamari (you can substitute with soy sauce)
3 small cooked beetroot
1/2 cup walnuts roasted and roughly chopped
1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
1 teaspoon of sherry
1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard
2 teaspoons of capers
White chicory leaves or Food Doctor Seed & Cereal Pitta Bread
- Slice the onion finely and leave to marinate in the vinegar, tamari and coconut sugar. Set aside.
- Either use cooked beetroot or boil your beetroot in salted water until cooked, this can sometimes take up to 40 mins or more.
- Chop the beetroot finely and mix in the remaining ingredients except for the onion and walnuts.
- Let sit at room temperature for at least 15 mins. This works well made in advance and left overnight.
- Using either a white chicory leaf which has a mild bitterness that offsets the beetroot and onions or a pitta bread, place a teaspoon of chopped beetroot, top with a small tangle of marinated onions and sprinkle with toasted walnut pieces.