This dip is a staple in Turkish and Greek cuisine, where it is served with meat or fish, with a mezze or alongside freshly baked bread. It’s easy to whip together and only requires a few kitchen essentials.
250g Greek yogurt
1 large or 2 small cloves garlic
Juice of half lemon
Half a large cucumber (150g)
Pinch of salt and pepper
Small handful mint leaves, finely chopped
- In a small bowl, add the Greek yogurt, garlic and lemon juice, and give it a good stir.
- Skin the cucumber with a knife or peeler, and cut or scrape out the seeds into the bin (as this is where most of the water content is). Grate half of the cucumber onto a piece of kitchen towel, squeeze out some of the juice and add the cucumber to the bowl.
- Cut the remaining cucumber into small cubes and add it to the bowl, then give it all a good stir.
- Chop the mint leaves up finely and add to the bowl along with the salt and pepper.
- Enjoy with lamb, pitta bread and crudités, or store in the fridge for 2-3 days.