These burgers are sweet, flavoursome and full of goodness. Invite some friends over and serve them up a beetroot burger served in a wholemeal seeded bun and topped with guacamole and gherkins. Make sure you prepare these in advance, as beetroot can get a little messy in the kitchen. We love beetroot as it’s rich in disease-preventing antioxidants and is an excellent source of folate and iron.
Makes 6 burgers
Prep time: 10-15 mins
Cook time: 25 mins
400g raw beetroot
1 tablespoon of olive oil
5 spring onions, outer skin removed, top and tailed, finely chopped
1 large clove of garlic, skin removed and finely chopped
2 The Food Doctor Original Pitta Breads
150g feta, crumbled
2 tbsp mint, finely chopped
Juice of 1 small lemon
Pinch of salt and pepper
6 Wholemeal seeded buns
6 tbsps. guacamole
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Peel the beetroot and grate it into a bowl. We would recommend using disposable gloves to protect your hands and avoid wearing a white t-shirt.
3. In a pan on medium heat, add the oil, and then stir in the beetroot, spring onion and garlic. Keep it moving round the pan for 4-5 minutes, this will allow the beetroot to sweeten and become less earthy.
4. Meanwhile, add the pitta breads to a processor and whiz until breadcrumbs form.
5. Place the beetroot mix back into the bowl, along with the breadcrumbs, feta, mint, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Give it a good stir and then form into 6 patties.
6. Cook the patties on a greased hot BBQ for a few minutes on each side, or in the oven on a greased baking tray for 25 minutes. Alternatively you can fry them in a pan with a little olive oil for a few minutes on each side.
7.Serve them with your favourite toppings like guacamole and gherkins, and a side salad and sweet potato wedges.