This is the first of six exclusive recipes created for us by the lovely Elisa of @happyskinkitchen. We’re kicking things off with a Forbidden Summer Rice Salad packed to the brim with veg and a delicious basil dressing. Elisa says, “This has been one of my favourite lunch or dinners lately. It’s so easy to throw together, is packed with gorgeous seasonal vegetables and it’s great for packed lunches too.”
1. Begin by roasting the pepper, aubergine and courgette. Toss them in olive oil, salt, pepper, and baked on a parchment lined baking tray in an oven preheated to 200 degrees Celsius or 45 minutes. Give it a toss half way through baking. Let cool slightly.
2. In a deep saucepan, combine your black rice and water. Bring to boil, then turn down to a simmer, cover with a lid and let cook for 30 minutes.
3. Once 30 minutes has passed drain the rice and let it sit onto one sides for few minutes to cool down slightly.
4. While the rice is cooking make the dressing: simply place all the ingredients into a food processor and blitz for a minute until you have a failrly creamy consistency. Add a splash of water if the dressing is too thick.
5. Tip rice into a large bowl, and combine with the roasted vegetables. Toss to mix well.
6. Serve the rice salad with a drizzle of the dressing, the mixed seeds and fresh basil leaves.
1 red bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 courgette, chopped or sliced in thick sliced
½ large aubergine chopped in bite size pieces
100gr of black rice – If you want to speed up the cooking time you can soak the black rice overnight
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp of dried herbs (I have used herbs de provence)
Salt & pepper to taste
For basil dressing
100g of fresh basil leaves
35g of macadamia nuts
2 tbsp of olive oil
The juice of ½ lemon
1 Tablespoon of nutritional yeast
1 garlic clove
2 tbsp of Food Doctor Super Seeds Mix
Fresh basil leaves to decorate