This creamy and fragrant curry flavoured with fresh ginger, garlic, lemongrass and chilli, is perfect for a mid-week dinner. We’ve used a mix of summer vegetables, creamy coconut and tofu, which is an excellent source of high quality protein. Make up a big batch and freeze it in portions for a quick and easy dinner.
1 tsp. coconut oil
1 white onion, peeled, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
3cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 fresh lemongrass stalks
1 small red chilli, seeds removed and finely chopped
1 courgette, sliced
1 red pepper, sliced
1 can of light coconut milk
1 handful of mange tout
½ of naked tofu
1 handful of coriander
½ tsp. turmeric
Juice of half a lime
2 tsp. fish sauce (leave out if vegetarian)
1 handful of cashews
1 sachet of brown rice or The Food Doctor Turmeric Pitta Breads.
1. Begin by preparing the tofu. Wrap the tofu in kitchen roll, this helps to remove any excess moisture. Lay a plate over the tofu and top it with a weight such as a can of beans.
2. Melt the coconut oil in a large pot or frying pan, on a medium to high heat.
3. Add the chopped white onion and fry for 5 minutes.
4. To prepare the lemongrass, remove the very bottom and the upper green part, to leave just the bottom white third. Remove the outer tough layers and bash the woody end with the back of a knife to help release the aromatic oils. Chop this section and add it to the pan along with the garlic, ginger and chilli (leaving a small amount of each to flavour the tofu), and fry for 3 minutes.
5. Add the courgette and red pepper and fry for 5 minutes, before adding the coconut milk and mange tout. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Whilst the dish is simmering, cook the tofu. In a small bowl, add the remaining garlic, ginger, and chilli, along with some chopped coriander, a sprinkle of turmeric, a squeeze of lime juice and a tablespoon of water. Cut the tofu into cubes and dust with arrowroot powder or corn-starch, then add to the bowl and coat in the mix. In a frying pan on a medium to high heat, add the tofu and fry for 3 minutes on each side, then add to the curry.
7. Add the turmeric (this helps to give the dish a lovely yellow-orange colour), fish sauce, lime juice and the chopped stalks of the coriander to the curry.
8. Pan fry the cashews for 3 minutes and crush them with a knife.
9. Serve the curry with fresh coriander leaves, a squeeze of lime, a sprinkle of crushed cashews, and brown rice or a toasted Food Doctor Turmeric Pitta Bread.