This dip is a staple in Turkish and Greek cuisine, where it is served with meat or fish, with a mezze or alongside freshly baked bread. It’s easy to whip together and only requires a few kitchen essentials.
1. In a small bowl, add the Greek yogurt, garlic and lemon juice, and give it a good stir.
2. Skin the cucumber with a knife or peeler, and cut or scrape out the seeds into the bin (as this is where most of the water content is). Grate half of the cucumber onto a piece of kitchen towel, squeeze out some of the juice and add the cucumber to the bowl.
3. Cut the remaining cucumber into small cubes and add it to the bowl, then give it all a good stir.
4. Chop the mint leaves up finely and add to the bowl along with the salt and pepper.
5. Enjoy with lamb, pitta bread and crudités, or store in the fridge for 2-3 days.
250g Greek yogurt
1 large or 2 small cloves garlic
Juice of half lemon
Half a large cucumber (150g)
Pinch of salt and pepper
Small handful mint leaves, finely chopped