Tray bakes are one of the easiest meals to prepare and you can let them roast away in the oven whilst you get on with other tasks. You can mix it up and throw in whatever you have in your fridge and cupboards. We’ve included sweet potatoes which are rich in beta-carotene and help to protect our vision, and juicy red peppers, which have just come into season, and tenderstem broccoli, which are both good sources of vitamin C to support the immune system. Swap purple sprouting broccoli for tenderstem broccoli if you can find it as it has just come in season.
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6.
2. In a large roasting tray, add the chunks of sweet potato, peppers and red onion. If you want the sweet potatoes to go crispy then you need to cut them into small chunks and keep them apart from the peppers and onion in the tray.
3. Drizzle the extra virgin olive oil on to the veg, and sprinkle over the garlic, salt and pepper. Then massage it in with your hands until it fully coats the veg.
4. Roast them in the oven for 30 minutes until the sweet potato starts to crisp on the outside and the peppers are nearly soft.
5. Toss the broccoli in a little extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper and lay it on top of the veg in the roasting tin. The oil will help stop the broccoli burning. Roast it in the oven for 15 minutes.
6. If your using the feta, then sprinkle the crumbled feta over the veg for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
7. Serve straight out of the oven on a bed of spinach or with a piece of meat, fish or tofu, and sprinkle over the Super Seeds Mix. This dish also taste great cold for lunch the next day. Enjoy.
Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a side dish
2 large sweet potatoes or 4 small ones, skins on, cut into small chunks
2 red or yellow peppers, cut into long thin stripes or chunks
1 large red onion or two small, cut into chunks or wedges
1-2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil or olive oil, drizzled
4 garlic cloves, thinly chopped
Pinch of salt and pepper
200g or 1 punnet of purple sprouting broccoli
60g or a large handful of feta cheese
2 tablespoons of The Food Doctor Super Seeds Mix